Dual-use technologies promote global stability and can enhance network and information security. Sustainability solutions take risk capital and patience, but create an inclusive future at the wake of the greatest environmental threats today.
Here are interesting labs harnessing science and technology solutions for a safer and sustainable world, and some effectively through public-private partnerships. Here is how I conduct VC due diligence. I also find these hard questions and the vigilante accountability project interesting.
- Lux Capital “invests in emerging science and technology ventures at the outermost edges of what is possible.”
- Stanford Climate Ventures is “led by two Precourt Energy Scholars with decades of energy technology, business, and policy expertise…[who] launch plans for high-impact ventures in the context of a new energy development framework.” Here is the latest from the 2020 Impact Assessment.
- *Team 8 “is an Israeli cybersecurity foundry focused on developing disruptive technologies and building category-leading companies that challenge the biggest problems in cybersecurity today.”
- C5 Capital “is a specialist investment firm that exclusively invests in the secure data ecosystem including cybersecurity, cloud infrastructure, data analytics, and space.” They also launched C5 Impact Partners – “It is our first fund focused on data-driven technologies that support inclusivity, safety, resilience and sustainability of cities and communities.”
- Prelude Ventures “is a venture capital firm partnering with entrepreneurs to address climate change. Since 2013, we have invested in over 40 companies across advanced energy, food and agriculture, transportation and logistics, advanced materials and manufacturing, and advanced computing.”
- X Prize “has designed and operated seventeen competitions in the domain areas of Space, Oceans, Learning, Health, Energy, Environment, Transportation, Safety, and Robotics.
- FullCycle “is building a world of infinite possibilities on a planet with finite resources.”
- Breakthrough Energy Ventures is a $1 billion dollar Bill Gates energy fund. “Our strategy links government-funded research to the patient, risk-tolerant capital so that more transformative clean energy innovations get to market faster.” Here is a great Quartz article on the latest portfolio.
- Obvious Ventures. “Early-stage venture capital for startups reimagining trillion-dollar industries through a world positive lens.” They invest in health, wellness, energy, mobility, and sustainable cities.
- Khosla Ventures seeks to invest into cost-effective, scalable inventions, or black swans of energy invention. This medium post captures the vision well.