Where are we at?
- Today’s challenges are increasingly complex and interconnected. The global power dynamic is shifting rapidly.
- Strategic intelligence is a great tool to understand relationships between complex issues.
- Factfulness shows us the world is not as bad as it seems.
- How your daily donation might matter more by William MacAskill
How to harness private capital
- Current State of Venture Philanthropy, Impact Investing, and Asset Management:
- Learnings from Mapping Donor Networks by Jeff Raikes, founder of Giving Compass and former CEO of the Gates Foundation
- Impact investing is value-driven across risk appetites and preferences across asset classes.
- Other traditional options for non-dilutive financing include grants, loans, SBIR, STTR, vouchers, tax credits, etc:
- Trends in Asia:
Accelerating innovation nationally
- Solutions for Academia, Industry, and Government:
- University Labs as Principle Source for Scientific Research
- Case for Patents, Collaboration Between Start-Ups and Federal Agencies: A Surprising Solution for Energy Innovation, ITIF
- Utilize U.S. Tech Hubs, Keeping America’s Innovative Edge, Atlantic Council
- Lessons on Policy Entrepreneurship, former White House OSTP
- Tech firms act as nation states. The Code: Silicon Valley and the Remaking America
- Leading with Hyper Disruptors
- Reflections on ARPA and PARC by Alan Kay
How to engage the world
- Over time, intelligence will be collective, innovation will be bottom-up, and engineering will be open-sourced. Strategies on engaging the global landscape:
- Recollection from Office of Analytics – Conducting Digital Diplomacy
- Notes on Public Diplomacy and Policy Coordination
- 9 ways U.S. State Dept. engages with startups
- On “Webcraft,” The Chessboard & The Web, Fmr State Dept. Policy Planning Director